Wednesday, July 1, 2009

We The People Of India

There is fresh gossip in the corridors, once again. Everyone is included... except the ones who usually gossip. Ironic, isn't it? Well, its not exactly the subject of their interest. Or so I concluded when I didn't see them. I could be wrong. This isn't about some new kid in school, or about a celebrity. Not even WDW (Who's Dating Who, in case you don't know). So what the hell is it about?

Everyone saw We The People yesterday. It was a debate titled Education Reformed. Now, why would someone talk about something like that? Like we don't have other stuff to do. Well, if this will make it clearer, it was a debate about whether the boards, the 10th grade exams, should be scrapped out or not. All we could do sitting in front of the TV was to boo the dozens of people who stood up and said, "No, I don't think this should be the case. The boards have helped me decide my career, and I'm sure it would help the others." My foot, it would help the others. We, The People of India, could do nothing to help the poor Barkha Dutt, going from one end of the set to the other, hunting out a person who said the boards should be cancelled - and sigh with relief when she found one.

We think that it should definitely be cancelled. And we are hoping that the kind hearted Mr. Kapil Sibal's proposal comes into action fast. Especially the current 10th graders. I also know why the people said no to Sibal's proposal. Because they've already given their board exams, and would love to just chill in college while we slog all day and night, and completely disappear under the pile of books. We think that boards should be cancelled because:

a. Cramming: Learning for boards is not learning, in the sense knowing. Its just cramming all the content of the books, page by page. Go to any ex-10th grader and ask her/him about what he/she knows about, the derivation of Newton's second law of motion or Pascal's law , you'll realize that he/she will say it like a poem. They will just reproduce what they roted a few months back. So does this show how intelligent we are? NO. It just shows how well we can mug up.

b.Pressure: Every year thousands of children fall victims to anxiety attacks. I am pretty sure I will be one of them. I worry about every single thing, and class 10 exams are going to be on top of my 'to worry list'.

The mothers are also included in this debate. Every mother, including my own, feel doing away with the boards will be a blessing for us. But then how will they assess our performance? Will the schools make impartial judgement about each and every student? Let's face it, teachers have been known to be biased at times.

Everyone in the corridors is confessing to a startling fact. When they pray at night, they don't ask for a new cell phone, a laptop or a book. Not a new pair of Ray - Bans. Not even 'good health' and all that garbage. NOR an A grade in tomorrow's History test. They pray to God for success to all the noble men with noble intentions - the likes of Kapil Sibal, the Minister of Human Resources of India. God, listen to our pleas.

We are all praying - We, The People of India.

9 comments:

sujata sengupta said...

Your prayers will soon be answered. When I was nearing my 10th boards, I prayed for the world to end somehow, anyhow..

Ishita said...

it didnt end though did it? instead, it showed you this amazing outlet to all your talent called blogspot

SJ said...

Aiooo u poor thing, I am definitely going to pray for you! I hated school, hated exams, hated teachers, hated tests, hated the morning prayers, hated getting up in the morning...u get my point ...So, I shall definitely do mannath- if they cancel the 10th board exams, I shall give J's (my husband) hair to Tirupathi. There now you know how serious I am!!!

Ahh the cram. yes I remember that cram, vomit and forget..joys of 10th class :P

Unknown said...

What would I wish if I had a daughter??.....
10 th exams should be on..
Don't ask me why, but my gut feeling is that it is good for you to go through a board exam....makes you tough...makes you feel you can take on the world...if you succeed it makes you feel on the top of the world....
Take it, you can do it.
That's what I would tell my daughter!
By the way, is your mom telling you the same thing????
LOve you
Radiya Aunty

Unknown said...

You have nothing to fear. You are learning. How do I know?
a. You can't cram for nuts.
b. Anxiety attack? You? Ha ha.
So go ahead, do your 9 3/4. Whatever.

Sakshi said...

Sigh if I had my way I wouldn't have exams at all. It was very difficult for me to sit at one place straight for 2 or 3 hours. I used to get so stiff and loose the ability to move my tongue after that. I will pray for you and the future generations to be free of such torture and hold SJ's hands in fulfilling her mannath!!

Ajit Ray said...

You present an interesting point of view but tell me something.... Are the board exams the nerve-jangling "BOARD EXAMS!!!" because of the students or the elders? I don't think students care either way whether you call your final examination a board or not or whether the question paper is set by an external examiner... The phobia is mainly because people make a big deal out of it.. Taking the examination actually is good because it tells you where you stand at a level larger than your school. Whatever be the results, it just helps you get a more objective assessment of yourself so that you can make the necessary changes next time. And if you have to take such big exams anyway - be it the 12th standard or university exams - why not start early to get more used to it? What do you say?

SJ said...

Psst- Sakshi likes you more than me, go ahead and tag her. She will definitely do it! Just don't tell her I told you this!

Ishita said...

@SJ Keep praying!
@radiya, as i mentioned, my mom is giving me neutral answers. anyway, TEHO!
@sourendu, hahaha, tall order
@im totally with you
@Ajit, yeah totally, i think so too