Thursday, August 20, 2009

The 'Tops the class' tag


There was a collective gasp in the room. Everyone was staring wide-eyed at the bespectacled girl, in front of us.

She was trying very hard to remember what she was saying. You could see it.

There were still whispers and murmurs in the room. "Oh no! This is not possible! No her!"

Suddenly, a twinkle of awareness, showed up in her eyes... (is that right grammar? I think not)

Everyone looked visibly relieved, the girl herself did too.

This is SN, the topper of our class. She gets above 95 in every damn subject - even in Marathi. Marathi! Even though she's a Bengali. From the outside, she looks all sweet, but from the inside, she a fierce tigress. She aims at people, her potential threats, and shoots them down. Or pulls them down. And simultaneously lifts herself up. That's almost criminal.

Recently, I've been one of her targets. Not that I score really, really, well to be honest - I'm just average. But the day I beat her in a spelling bee contest and another science test - she had her eyes on me.

I had been really close friends with her about a year back, but then I moved, so I was no longer staying close, and we drifted apart. But while I was staying with her, I figures that the 'tops the class' tag given to her was not right - she deserved it of course, but that tag also came with a certain amount of annoyance, irritation (hope you know what I mean) from the rest of the people. Which she did not deserve. Circumstances, had forced her to become that way. Not her fault, really.

So, I've dedicated this post to her. I hope people get to know her better.



4 comments:

Aparna said...

SN is like that because her mother is so pushy. I don't blame her. Poor kid does not know how to have fun. She will burn out pretty fast.

And you are turning out to be pretty smart because you have a pretty smart mother. So there.

Sakshi said...

How I wish we had blogs when I was at school. Would have dedicated a post daily to each and everyone in my class.

Aww so you have won the spelling bee contest?? I still need the damn spell checking software:( SN sounds so boring no?

ROFL at your mom's comment. We agree she is the smartest and the wittiest

sujata sengupta said...

SN scores in marathi as well!! whats wrong with her..she needs a break, challenge her to flunk a subject!Your mom uses two two adjectives together for her self..pretty and smart..life is so unfair to us right brained people.

Ishita said...

@ Sujata: She still won't leave me alone. I sort of like it though, I admit. The way it looks, every time we have a conversation, I can almost here her saying, oh no! I have to study harder.

@Sakshi: Don't worry, I need it too. Nobody gets the spellings right!